Wednesday 30 March 2011

Sign Writing

Sooo having had a slightly daunting amount of work over the past couple of weeks, the blog has been somewhat neglected..but now that the deadlines have all passed I've got a bit more time to show what I've been up to lately. 


We recently took part in a Signwriting workshop with Chelsea GDC graduate Lizzie Gove. It was really interesting getting to grips with traditional sign writing techniques, producing hand-rendered letterforms. Very different to anything I've done before! 

Using mahl sticks and special ink/brushes

First attempts..



I had a lot of fun and would recommend signwriting to anyone, but will give this advice: When spending an entire day inside a room with a lot of white spirit (the ink used for signwriting needed thinning) and little ventilation, be more careful than I was..


Perhaps the least fun part of the experience for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment